High Limit Personal Accident, Medical and DBA Insurance
Frequently Asked Questions
* What is DBA (Defense Base Act) ?
A: Established in 1941, the primary goal of the Defense Base Act was to cover workers on military bases outside the United States. The act was amended to include public works contracts with the government for the building of non-military projects such as dams, schools, harbors, and roads abroad. A further amendment added a vast array of enterprises revolving around the national security of the United States and its allies. Today, almost any contract with an agency of the U.S. government, for work outside the U.S., whether military in nature or not, will likely require Defense Base Act coverage.
* Does everyone get DBA insurance ?
A: non-US contracting agencies do NOT have to provide DBA coverages. Check with your agency. The US Department of Labor is the agency making the final determination if DBA is required, not insurance agencies.
* What are the limitations of coverage under DBA ?
A: DBA coverage falls under the Division of Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation (DLHWC). Refer to this document supplied by the US Dept of Labor on injury and death benefits along with maximum and minimum limits on payment. As of Oct 1, 2006 the max limit will be set at $1,114 / week for both life and disability limits. If a death occurs, it will only pay 50% of this max limit. See details in document link noted above.
* Why should I or my family be concerned with my current level of coverage under DBA?
A: See question and answer above. Limits are capped at a maximum limit and may be inadequate coverage overall.
* How does this High Limit Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance program fill in the gaps left over from DBA ?
A: By providing supplemental high limit coverage for accidental death and if elected, dismemberment benefits and accidental permanent total disability benefits. Limits are set at $100,000 or higher and can be paid in lump sum or in equal annual installments.
* What is a typical scenario for independent contractors and the type of plan taken out to supplement the risks involved ?
A: Please review our example scenario and premium listing here. There are typically three options: AD (accidental death only), AD&D (accidental death & dismemberment) or AD&D and APTD (accidental permanent total disability). War Risk is always added if in high risk countries. Nuclear, chemical and biological exposure can be added as well, if the market allows.
* What are the costs involved with such coverage?
* How can an individual pay for the premium ? Are there various modes of payment such as quarterly and semi-annual payments available ?
* What if during the coarse of the current assignment, the country exposure changes ? How is that calculated into the annual premium and what do I do to advise the insurance company of this change in assignment ?
A: As long as the underwriter or our brokerage office is notified of the change of location before it takes place then the policy can be endorsed and possibly an increase in the premium may be warranted if the risk is established. Case by case basis situation.
* How do I go about getting an accurate quote for my current upcoming assignment ?
A: First, complete our quick online quote request with full detail as able. This is recommended rather than just sending a regular email to us, as we can better service you through this system. We will then be in contact with you via phone or email to ask any follow up questions needing answered prior to quoting. It will take about 24 hours turn around time to get a quote (except on weekends or holidays where it will be the next business day). We will be glad to contact you anywhere worldwide, but please leave a complete international number for us to dial successfully.
* What is needed in order to make application for this program ?
* Is there a brochure or document to review that can give me additional information ?
* Who is the insurer / underwriter for this plan ?
* What role does eGlobalHealth Insurers Agency, LLC provide with this product ?
A: We are the brokerage agency that has the connection with the underwriters for this product. We provide the service required to get the plan bound for coverage and to keep in contact with the client should any issues arise with the policy, need for changes to the policy, etc. We are known worldwide for providing "Extraordinary Global Service" having been in the insurance industry for nearly 7 decades, spanning three generations.